Friday, April 2, 2010

CHASING LIBERTY

You don't realise the importance of freedom till it is snatched away from you.

Staying away from home, me and my freedom took to new heights and soared high for a year and a half till an incident occurred that brought us both crashing down to the earth(read as reality). As a result a few tough decisions, a few much-needed restrictions and a few agonising sacrifices were made.

During this time I realised, that when you are in the deepest of the troubles, your friends come up with the most desirable and mouth-watering plans, which you have to pass by rather unwillingly. Having hit the reality head-on, my friends put forward one such plan...a plan of which I had heard a lot...a plan which I had visualised a hundred times in my mind....a plan which I would give anything to take part in. I just knew I had to join the party...but my mind told me that I didn't deserve this break given the previous events. Hours of thinking and assessment led me to the decision that going along with this plan wasn't in my best interests right now. My decision was met by angry glares, a few foul words, and some successful attempts to change my mind. Over the next few weeks, I kept dangling between a 'yes' and a 'no'. But alas! Tough times called for tough decisions. Carrying the weight of all the troubles I was in, I finally refused, knowing very well that I was going to regret this decision for the rest of my life.

Following the afore-mentioned crash, my parents tried very hard to force some sense into me and in the process also took away from me a few things which were very dear to me. But it wasn't necessary, as, for me, this was one of those phases in life when you know what is right and what is wrong without anyone having to tell you that. It was one of those phases when your priorities align themselves in the right order and the path which you should be taking opens up automatically in front of you blocking all other wrong paths you could have taken. During this time, you yourself know what is right for you and the wise words of everyone else around you don't really matter anymore. Thus, along with the loss and sacrifice came sense and a will to turn the tables around. And then the much-needed restrictions were imposed by me upon myself. A very important lesson I learned at this time is that change is necessary for a person to evolve. Although I am missing out on a few of the precious things in life, I am sure things will turn out in a better way than they are right now. I am sure that these decisions, restrictions, and sacrifices will have a positive long-term effect for me.

Walking down empty roads, late in the night, with my faithful companion in my hands, I realise that there is a very thin line between the use and misuse of the freedom given to you...the same line that divides success and failure....the same line that divides good and bad. Someone very rightly told me that liberty is not given to you on a platter, it has to be earned. Having finally understood the meaning of this statement, I have now decided to earn my liberties back. One more chance is all I need.

1 comment: